Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Messianic Judaism

When I was young, I've always thought the concept for Jews for Jesus was absurd and nonexistant. Little did I know that there was and has been such thing since the 1960s. Even though I know it actually exists, I am still befuddled by Messianic Judaism. If one believes in Jesus, wouldn't one be considered Christian, and not Jewish? If Christainity follows the miracle of Jesus, then what exactly is the point of Jews for Jesus? It's something that won't really ever make any sense to me.
Messianic Judaism consists of a Biblically-based movement of people who, as committed Jews, believe in Yeshua (Jesus) as the Jewish Messiah of Israel of whom the Jewish Law and Prophets spoke, according to the description at mjaa.org. However, the description recognizes this contradiciton and calls itself "Hebrew Christianity" from it's historical descriptions. So why would this entity consider itself anywhere towards Jewish? It is a very confusing subject that I myself won't ever stop questioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment