Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Exogamy: Intermarriage in Judaism

I'll admit, I am a victim of Jewish parents egging their children to marry Jewishly and to never intermarry. It was a conversation that was frequently brought up with my mother, and at times when I was young, I felt it wasn't fair, and that I could marry whoever I wanted. I realized the importance of marrying Jewish and/or living a Jewish life after marriage as I got older and graduated from camp and my youth group. At the same time, realization was challenged when I got into big relationship at the end of my high school career. As we both knew that marriage for both of our religion's sake-let alone the fact that we were also in high school-wouldn't be an option, but it was still worth it for both of us to take that step of dating each other. And I was so happy to find out that my parents completely supported me at the time-so long as we didn't marry or hypothetically married Jewishly.
However, I won't go without saying that intermarriage has worked in families, a lot of the times resulting in raising Jewish families. A few of my friends that I lived with in my year in Israel were very well Jewishly raised products of
As I checked out interfaithfamily.com, I found some interesting things in regards to working out an interfaith relationship and marriage. I really liked the article on open conversation and arguing within and about an interfaith relationship. I believe such helps within a successive result of how a relationship will play out, and how little or big of a deal it is in the future. But in a hypothetical interfaith marriage and child conception, it should be crucial that the parents and the child(ren) should explore both religions to get a firm understanding on where each comes from.

No comments:

Post a Comment