Monday, April 20, 2009

Jews in the Christian Image

I was on a bus heading back from Tel-Aviv to my kibbutz that I was residing at during my second half of the year of Nativ, when I got the call from my mom. My family had just come back from a huge event at a local Evangelical Mega-church and were honored at a special benefit for Israel. I couldn't help but be suprised and beam at such a wonderful experience that she kept describing to me. It was at that moment that I truly began to appreciate Christianity for it's support of Israel.
The International Fellowship of Christians and Jews is a very important organization due to the fact that it is a major entity that unites Christians and Jews in the utmost support for Israel. The reason behind all of this support is that Israel is a holy place for both religions. The IFCJ's major goal and vision here is to build bridges between Jews and Christians and develop better relationships between each other through their combined support of Israel, in order to "reverse their 2,000-year history of discord" by replacing it "with a relationship marked by dialogue, respect and cooperation."
I like how much this site stresses the importance of support of Israel regardless of religion or religious denomination through its biblical connection. Rabbi Yechiel Eckstein does a great job of describing that importance through his video on one of the tabs on the site in his story about his first trip to Israel, when his roomate, an 86 year old black baptist minister broke down at the fact that he was able to walk in the land of Israel before he passed away.
Although the site stresses the importance of supporting Israel moreso than the vision of building better interfaith relationships between Jews and Christians, I think the IFCJ still does a lot of justice to it's cause by making the connection between the two through Israel-it is the holy land for both religions after all. Through this, IFCJ makes a great team not only for Israel's support, but for support between Jews, Christians, and whichever other religions that pursues a positive coexistance and relationship between one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment