Monday, February 2, 2009

Orthodox Judaism

When I was younger, I often confused Orthodox Judaism with Chabad, and thought the two were one of the same. Throughout my years as a kid, I was pretty intimidated by it all and was usually nervous when talking about the subject, because I just wasn't used to or comfortable with it. Now, thankfully of course, those views that I had as a child are no longer there as I have had experiences with Orthodoxy from my stinit in Israel living on a Kibbutz Dati (religious Kibbutz), and I have a handful of good friends that are also Orthodox as well.

While reading the Heilman artical I saw something interesting that I've come to notice throughout my years in college and in Israel, and that is Orthodox Jews are highly affiliated to all things Jewish, and that Judaism is not primarily a personal matter (2). For them, it's a part of everyday life--the normal routine. I don't think I've ever respected something more than that in Judaism in general.

One thing caught me a little off gaurd that I now comprehend a little better: the two types of Orthodox Judaism that are called "contrapuntal" and "enclavist" Orthodox Judaism. Contrapuntal Orthodox Judaism consists of Orthodox Jews that incorporate and involve their religion to the American Lifestyle in which they live in. Many of these Jews that live in society today, feel that even though they follow strict laws, they shouldn't feel odd or different from others in general society today. Enclavists are at the opposite side of the spectrum, and are much more introverted, and exclusive about their Jewish lives. I understand why such a community would exist today seeing as there are many in Israel today, but in a different society, they are viewed as if they are living in their own world (even in Israel, at most times), and I don't think it's necessarry for someone to exclude him or herself from society just to be more religious. But if more religious Jews make themselves a bigger part of their own society in which we live in, I would like to see more knowledge of Judaism spread to the world because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment